Thursday, January 18, 2007

Bruce McKinnon

I am shocked and saddened to hear that Bruce McKinnon who was part of the trio Squash Recipe died on Wednesday 17 January of a rare cancer.
Obviously not as high profile as the other recent deaths (Michael Brecker and Alice Coltrane), I only met Bruce the one time when he toured with Tom Arthurs and Joe Sorbara last Spring. I was impressed by the thoughtfulness of his playing. Also that his parents were so supportive of him. The guys were walking along Charing Cross Road outside Foyle's when they saw people who looked familiar. Indeed they were, as Bruce's parents were paying him a surprise visit. I feel proud that Babel helped bring out their one release together. A promising musician who was only beginning to make his mark. I wish his family and friends long life.
By the way, there is a lovely tribute to Michael Brecker on the Bad Plus blog by Mark Turner.

No comments: